Effective: 2017-2018Learn more about how we grade
Does Your Lawmaker Make The Grade?Does your lawmaker make the grade? Check your scorecard and and see if lawmakers in your district vote with our land, air and water in mind.
These bills would amend the Michigan Campaign Finance Act to do the following:
- Create the Fair Political Practices Commission as an autonomous entity within the Secretary of State (SOS), and provide for the appointment of its members.
- Require the Commission to administer and enforce the Act.
- Modify various references to the SOS to refer instead to the Commission.
- Remove a prohibition on a public person using public funds or resources for communication referencing a local ballot question and targeting the relevant electorate where the local ballot question appeared on the ballot.
- Prohibit the father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, or spouse or a relative of any degree residing in the same household as a candidate from contributing in total to that person’s candidate committee, more than $50,000 in value for an election cycle.
- Prohibit a person from bringing an action to collect a fine or fee imposed under the Act unless the person commenced the action within five years after the violation.