The ideal participants will be interested in learning more about community organizing, building leadership in communities, and creating lasting environmental change. Prior experience in community organizing is not required. High school and college students are encouraged to apply. You should have:
- A positive attitude and willingness to inspire action and build a team.
- A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of Michigan’s land, air, and water should be a political priority.
- Passion for learning organizing principles, working under the environmental justice framework, and creating systemic change.
- Cultural Competence:
- Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity and the ability to learn and build on varying community norms.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture.
- Understanding of how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
Time Commitment & Program Dates
Our Water Our Vote Activists must commit to 10 hours of work per week for a 3-month period, including evenings and occasional weekends. This program is taking place in three-month cycles in 2023 as follows:
- Cycle D: March 14 – June 2 (Apply by February 21)
- Cycle E: June 13 – September 1 (Apply by May 17 )
- Cycle F: September 19 – December 15 (Apply by August 20)
*Dates are subject to change
This is an unpaid part-time program focused on community organizing training and engagement. Our Water Our Vote Activists will be given applied experience outside of the traditional classroom settings, networking opportunities, and experience in working on issue-based and electoral programs, building leadership in communities, and creating environmental change. Exemplary Our Water Our Vote Activists will receive a letter of recommendation. View and download the full job posting here
A limited number of stipends are available for Our Water Activists through the generous contribution of the Alec Esparza Memorial Fund. The purpose of the Alec Esparza fund is to honor the memory of Alec, a young activist passionate about environmental justice and access to the vote. Click here for more information on how to apply.