Michigan LCV endorses climate and clean water champion Gretchen Whitmer for governor
Lansing, MI — The Michigan League of Conservation Voters (Michigan LCV) today announced their endorsement of Gretchen Whitmer for governor.
“In today’s political climate, state-level action has never been more important — so it is imperative that Michigan has a governor who delivers on climate action, ensures all residents have safe, affordable drinking water, and protects our democracy,” said Lisa Wozniak, executive director of Michigan LCV. “Governor Whitmer is a proven leader who has fought for fair and safe elections, ensured historic investments in the protection of our water, and is driving Michigan forward into a clean energy future — and she’ll continue to do so when re-elected.”
In her tenure as Governor, Whitmer has proven time and time again that she is an advocate for our land, air, water, and democracy. Just a few of her accomplishments to-date include:
- Putting Michigan on a path to 100% carbon neutrality by 2050 via her MI Healthy Climate Plan
- Establishing health-based standards for PFAS in our water
- Signing the Building Michigan Together Plan which invested nearly $2 billion to remove lead service lines, reduce toxic PFAS contamination in our water, rebuild wastewater and sewer infrastructure, provide clean water for schools and childcare centers, prevent highway flooding, and more
- Investing millions to enhance elections, fight gerrymandering, and improve census accuracy
- Vetoing bills that would have weakened campaign finance requirements, as well as bills that would have disenfranchised and intimidated voters by limiting absentee ballot access
Michigan LCV’s endorsements are awarded to candidates who demonstrate a strong commitment to protecting the environment, and the health of Michigan’s communities and democracy. Governor Whitmer’s endorsement was approved by a vote from the Board of Directors. Learn more about our endorsement process at michiganlcv.org/elections.