Effective: 2017-2018Learn more about how we grade
Does Your Lawmaker Make The Grade?Does your lawmaker make the grade? Check your scorecard and and see if lawmakers in your district vote with our land, air and water in mind.
Senate Bill 1197 would amend Public Act 214 of 1952, the act that authorized the Mackinac Bridge Authority to build the Mackinac Bridge, to do all of the following:
- Allow the Mackinac Bridge Authority to acquire and manage a utility tunnel through the Straits of Mackinac and to acquire property and property rights in connection with the construction of such a tunnel.
- Create the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority within the Michigan Department of Transportation and create the Corridor Authority Board as its board of directors.
- Provide for the transfer, from the Mackinac Bridge Authority to the Corridor Authority Board, of all duties, powers, and responsibilities related to a Straits of Mackinac utility tunnel.
- Require the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority to enter into an agreement for the construction, maintenance, operation, and decommissioning of a utility tunnel by December 31, 2018.
- Require that the tunnel agreement provide that a private party pay to construct,maintain, operate, and decommission the tunnel.
- Provide that real or personal property owned or used by an entity leasing or otherwise using the utility tunnel is not exempt from taxation.
- Require the attorney general to provide for the costs of representation a lawyer chosen by the Mackinac Bridge Authority or the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority if the attorney general declined to represent either body in a matter related to the utility tunnel.